News World News

Friday 29 August 2014

Faulty charger 'caused fatal fire' killing five family members

Published 12/05/2014 | 16:32

  • Share
Mourners gather as a coffin of one of the five family members who died in a house fire is carried away after a funeral service at the Masjid Mosque, Sheffield. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Thursday May 8, 2014. More than 2,000 people have packed into the mosque for the funeral of five members of the same family, including three children, who died in a house fire. Shabina Begum, 53, died along with her three grandchildren - Adyan Parwaiz Kayani, nine, Amaan Parwaiz Kayani, seven, and their nine-week-old sister Minahil - in the blaze in Sheffield last week. See PA story FUNERAL Fire. Photo credit should read: Anna Gowthorpe/PA Wire
Mourners gather as a coffin of one of the five family members who died in a house fire is carried away after a funeral service at the Masjid Mosque, Sheffield
Prayers are said ahead of the funeral service of the five family members who died in a house fire at the Masjid Mosque, Sheffield. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Thursday May 8, 2014. More than 2,000 people have packed into the mosque for the funeral of five members of the same family, including three children, who died in a house fire. Shabina Begum, 53, died along with her three grandchildren - Adyan Parwaiz Kayani, nine, Amaan Parwaiz Kayani, seven, and their nine-week-old sister Minahil - in the blaze in Sheffield last week. See PA story FUNERAL Fire. Photo credit should read: Anna Gowthorpe/PA Wire
Prayers are said ahead of the funeral service of the five family members who died in a house fire at the Masjid Mosque, Sheffield
Nazia Parwaiz Kayani (right), the aunt of the children who died, reads out a family statement to the media before the funeral service at the Masjid Mosque, Sheffield. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Thursday May 8, 2014. More than 2,000 people packed into the mosque for the funeral of five members of the same family, including three children, who died in a house fire. Shabina Begum, 53, died along with her three grandchildren - Adyan Parwaiz Kayani, nine, Amaan Parwaiz Kayani, seven, and their nine-week-old sister Minahil - in the blaze in Sheffield last week. See PA story FUNERAL Fire. Photo credit should read: Anna Gowthorpe/PA Wire
Nazia Parwaiz Kayani (right), the aunt of the children who died, reads out a family statement to the media before the funeral service at the Masjid Mosque, Sheffield

A house fire which left five members of the same family dead was probably caused by a faulty charger, police have said.

  • Share
  • Go To

Shabina Begum, 53, died along with her three grandchildren - Adyan Parwaiz Kayani, nine, Amaan Parwaiz Kayani, seven, and their nine-week-old sister Minahil - in the blaze in Sheffield a fortnight ago.

Mrs Begum's daughter, Anum Parwaiz, 20, the children's aunt, also died in the fire at the family home in Wake Road, in the Nether Edge area of the city.

South Yorkshire Police said today: "Following a joint investigation, South Yorkshire Police and South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue have found that the most probable cause of the fatal house fire in Wake Road, Nether Edge, Sheffield, was an electrical fault involving a faulty charging device.

"However, the investigation continues on behalf of the coroner and a full inquest into the deaths of the three children and two women will take place at a future date."

More than 2,000 people attended the funerals of those who died last week. The main hall of the Masjid Mosque in Sheffield was packed for the ceremony, as were a number of other rooms and stairwells in the complex.

Around 300 people prayed outside.

Speaking before the funerals, Nazia Parwaiz Kayani, another daughter of Mrs Begum and aunt of the three children, cried as she remembered the bravery of her mother, who made her way to safety but died trying to rescue her grandchildren.

"Our thoughts would be incomplete without mentioning the selfless heroism of my beloved mother, Shabina Begum, who went back into the house to try and rescue the family she adored," she said.

"She made the ultimate sacrifice."

Ms Parwaiz Kayani also praised one of her cousins who made brave efforts to get into the burning house.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue today re-issued its general safety advice about chargers.

It said: "Don't buy cheap, unbranded chargers and make sure chargers are compatible to the device you are using.

"Don't leave things to charge overnight or beyond the recommended charging time. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions

"Keep electrical items away from flammable materials when charging."

The service also warns not to overload sockets.

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News