Father dies from injuries after arson attack which killed 18-month-old son
Published 09/08/2015 | 02:30
A Palestinian man whose child was killed in an arson attack blamed on Jewish settlers has died of his injuries.
Saad Dawabsha, 32, died in an Israeli hospital where he was being treated for second-degree burns to most of his body. His son Ali, 18 months, died in the attack in the village of Duma in the occupied West Bank on July 31.
His mother and his four-year-old brother remain in critical condition.
In last week's attack the family's small home was firebombed in the night, and daubed with slogans in Hebrew, including the word "revenge".
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called the attack an act of terrorism. Israel has vowed to catch the arsonists. Palestinian officials said they held Israel "fully responsible".
The incident may have been a so-called "price tag" attack. Such attacks usually involve acts of vandalism or arson by Jewish extremists as retribution for actions taken by the Israeli government against Jewish settlements or unauthorised outposts in the West Bank, or for violence by Palestinians.
Hundreds of Syrian Christians flee IS
Hundreds of Christian families have fled a central Syrian town as Islamic State fighters advance toward it, activists said Saturday, the anniversary of the US beginning airstrikes against the extremists in Iraq.
A US-led coalition has conducted nearly 6,000 airstrikes against the Islamic State group, expanding its operations to target the extremists in Syria as well. But a year later, the Islamic State group remains able to launch attacks across its self-declared "caliphate" in both countries, despite some gains by Kurdish fighters and allied Iraqi forces.
On Saturday, Osama Edward, the director of the Christian Assyrian Network for Human Rights in Syria, said "hundreds of families" have fled the Christian town of Sadad toward the government-held central city of Homs and the capital, Damascus.
Racing star dug up for paternity tests
The body of 1950s motor-racing legend, Juan Manuel Fangio, has been exhumed by order of a judge in Argentina.
The judge ordered samples from Fangio's body be taken to try to resolve paternity cases brought by two men in their 70s claiming to be his sons.
Fangio won the F1 world championship five times in the 1950s. His F1 record stood until Germany's Michael Schumacher broke it in 2003.
He never married and did not declare any children, but his biographers say that he had a two-decade relationship with a woman.
Juan Manuel Fangio, who died in 1995 aged 84, left his estate to a foundation and a museum which bears his name.
Batman cinema killer sentenced to life
A jury in the US state of Colorado has spared gunman James Holmes the death penalty for killing 12 people at a screening of a Batman film in 2012.
He will serve life in jail without the possibility of parole.
The defence team had argued that the former neuroscience graduate student, now 27, was insane at the time. The jury agreed with prosecutors that Holmes, though mentally ill, was responsible for his actions. But it was not unanimous on the death penalty.
That lack of agreement meant the jury accepted he would receive an automatic life sentence without parole.
50 dead in Afghan capital bombings
Security has been stepped up in the Afghan capital after a series of bomb attacks killed more than 50 people.
Eleven people, including a Nato soldier and eight contractors, were killed in an attack on a base in Kabul.
On Friday, at least 25 people died in a suicide bombing at a police academy and a truck bomb killed 15.
The UN said the attacks were likely to be the product of a Taliban power struggle following the death of its leader Mullah Omar.
The attacks, which happened within 24 hours of each other and injured hundreds, are the first major incidents since the Taliban confirmed last week he had died two years ago.