News World News

Friday 19 September 2014

Exploding e-cigarette sets barmaid's dress on fire

CCTV footage captures the moment an e-cigarette left charging on the side of a pub bar bursts into flames, singeing a barmaid serving customers

Published 09/04/2014 | 08:09

  • Share

A barmaid was left shocked after an e-cigarette exploded in a Yorkshire pub, setting her dress alight. Miss Baty said: "I was about to give somebody their change and I heard the bang. I could see the fire coming at me and I felt the heat as I ran away.

  • Share
  • Go To

Laura Baty, 18, was serving a customer when she heard a loud bang and saw the device shoot in her direction.

The flames singed her arms and set her dress on fire as she tried to get out of the way.

The e-cigarette - which had been on charge behind the bar - then landed on the floor and scorched the vinyl tiles before burning itself out.

Part of it also hit at customer at the Buck Inn Hotel, in Richmond, North Yorks, and left him with a red mark on his stomach.

"I started crying hysterically and my arm was all black. My dress caught on fire as I ran away and I just didn't know what was happening.

"A customer came and took me in to the bathroom to calm me down. She washed down my arm which was all black and I still didn't know what had happened."

Exploding e-cigarette sets barmaid's dress on fire (Generated thumbnail) 

Miss Baty, who has worked at the pub for nearly two years, was badly shaken by the explosion on Saturday.

She added: "I thought the fuse-box had blown up or a firework had gone off.

"Everybody was just so shocked."

The e-cigarette belonged to fellow barman Stewart Paterson, 21, who has been trying to quit smoking since December last year.

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News