Woman (31) held in missing baby investigation has been taken to hospital
Published 05/06/2016 | 10:25
A woman being held by detectives investigating the disappearance of a baby more than a decade ago has been taken to hospital.
The 31-year-old had been arrested on suspicion of preventing a lawful burial, but has been moved to hospital for observation after complaining of feeling unwell.
The investigation into the missing child, born in Barnet in 2004, was sparked by requests from local officers and the child abuse investigation team following a case review into the death of another child at an address in Barnet in 2015.
A 50-year-old woman was arrested after officers attended a house in Fryent Crescent, West Hendon, north London at 7am on Monday May 30, and a 31-year-old woman was detained in Luton, Bedfordshire later that day .
Human remains thought to be those of a child, who police have not identified, were found during a search of the address on Tuesday May 31.
Both were bailed to mid-July after being taken to a south London police station.
On Wednesday, detectives rearrested the two women, as well as a 52-year-old man, on suspicion of preventing a lawful and decent burial.
The older woman has been bailed along with the man to mid-July, while the younger woman remains in police custody.
A post-mortem examination on the remains at Great Ormond Street Hospital was inconclusive on the cause of death.
The Metropolitan Police said the case had been referred to its Directorate of Professional Standards (DPS) and also to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).
Until the suspect leaves hospital, the Police and Criminal Evidence Act (Pace) timer which outlines how long a suspect can be kept in custody has been paused.
A police spokesman said that at around 2am on Saturday, the suspect "complained of feeling unwell and was taken to hospital for observation - she remains there. While she remains in hospital the Pace clock has stopped".