Saturday 22 July 2017

William and Kate to use Charles and Diana's carriage

Britain's Prince William (L) accompanied by his fiancee Kate Middleton, watch a tug of war match during a visit to Greenmount Agricultural College near Belfast, Northern Ireland, on March 8, 2011. Prince William and his bride-to-be Kate Middleton arrived in Belfast on Tuesday for a one-day visit, under the watchful eye of armed police on the surrounding rooftops. AFP PHOTO/PAUL ELLIS (Photo credit should read PAUL ELLIS/AFP/Getty Images)
Britain's Prince William (L) accompanied by his fiancee Kate Middleton, watch a tug of war match during a visit to Greenmount Agricultural College near Belfast, Northern Ireland, on March 8, 2011. Prince William and his bride-to-be Kate Middleton arrived in Belfast on Tuesday for a one-day visit, under the watchful eye of armed police on the surrounding rooftops. AFP PHOTO/PAUL ELLIS (Photo credit should read PAUL ELLIS/AFP/Getty Images)

Gordon Rayner in London

KATE Middleton will make her first journey as a member of the British royal family in the carriage in which Diana travelled on her wedding day.

Prince William and his bride will be driven from Westminster Abbey to Buckingham Palace in the open-topped state landau that carried Prince Charles and Princess Diana past cheering crowds after their wedding in 1981.

In a surprise move, Clarence House also announced that the vehicle in which Ms Middleton will be driven to the Abbey will be the Rolls-Royce that Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall were using when they were attacked by student tuition-fee protesters last year.

Details of the transport arrangements for the couple's wedding on April 29 were released after the royal household finalised plans for the carriage procession.

Prince Harry, as best man, will be in the second carriage with Ms Middleton's sister Pippa, who is maid of honour, and some of the bridesmaids and page boys, who will also take up the third carriage.

The queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will be in the fourth carriage, with Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall sharing the final carriage with Ms Middleton's parents, Michael and Carole.

Col Toby Browne, the Crown equerry in charge of the royal mews, where the carriages are kept, said the damaged Rolls-Royce would be ready in time for the big day. "It's not extensive, it's just minor damage following the incident before Christmas," he said.

Prince William will be driven to Westminster Abbey in a separate state car, before the 1902 state landau. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News