WATCH: Here's what we know about Brussels terror attacks so far
Published 22/03/2016 | 08:38
Here is what we know so far about the terror attacks in Brussels:
* There were two explosions at Brussels Zaventem Airport at around 7am Irish time.
* About an hour later there was an explosion on a Metro train at Maelbeek station, near the city's EU quarter.
* The Islamic State terror group (IS) has claimed responsibility for the attacks, saying they opened fire in the airport and "several" members detonated suicide belts. IS said a suicide bomber was also responsible for the Metro attack.
* The death toll is at least 34. Fourteen people are reported to have been killed at the airport and 20 in the explosion on the Metro.
* The attacks are believed to have injured at least 198 people. No Irish are believed to be among the dead or injured.
* The attack at the airport targeted an American Airlines desk. Local media reported that shouts in Arabic were heard as shots were fired.
* One or two Kalashnikov rifles were found in the airport departure lounge after the attacks and at least one suitcase bomb exploded there, security officials are reported to have said.
* The injuries of a number of victims indicate there were nails in at least one of the bombs at the airport, someone from Gasthuisberg hospital in Leuven indicated. Marc Decramer told local media the hospital is treating 11 people for wounds probably caused by flying glass and nails.
* Police in Belgium have released a CCTV picture of a man who is suspected of carrying out the airport attack.