Thursday 19 January 2017

Voicemails of senior detectives on hacking investigation were targetted

Martin Evans

Published 12/07/2011 | 08:54

Five senior detectives connected to the News of the World phone hacking investigation had their voicemails targeted, it has been reported.

  • Go To

The officers, who were working on the original 2006 inquiry, discovered their names and personal details were contained in documents seized from the home of private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, who was jailed in 2007 for hacking into royal messages.

The New York Times claimed that alongside Andy Hayman, who was leading the inquiry and John Yates, who carried out the discredited 2007 review, Sir Ian Blair, the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police at the time, was also among those who had their phone hacked.

Two other unnamed senior detectives involved in the original case, were also among 4,000 names on a list of potential targets drawn up by Mulcaire, according to the report.

Former Assistant Commissioner Andy Hayman and Assistant Commissioner Yates will toady be quizzed by MPs over the phone hacking scandal as two MPs called for Mr Yates to resign amid accusations he repeatedly lied to parliament.

Mr Yates, who assessed the initial investigation into phone hacking in 2009 but ruled there was no further evidence, will defend his actions, saying he was never asked to carry out a review of the original inquiry.

But Labour's Chris Bryant has called for his resignation, telling the Commons that Scotland Yard's most senior counter-terrorism officer was guilty of "repeatedly lying" to MPs.

The new allegations will further fuel concern that the 2006 investigation was compromised because detectives feared aspects of their private life would be exposed if they probed too deeply into the phone hacking scandal.

John Whittingdale, chairman of the culture, media and sport select committee, described the suggestions as "shocking".

He said: “If it is true that police officers knew that their phones had been hacked, it is a serious matter that requires immediate investigation.”

Mr Yates is one of four senior officers from the Metropolitan Police who will give evidence to the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee today.

Mr Hayman, the officer in charge of the original inquiry, will be questioned over "who knew what at which point".

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Sue Akers, who is in charge of the current probe, Operation Weeting, will also be questioned, but is expected to be limited in what she can say due to the ongoing inquiries.

Former assistant commissioner Peter Clarke, the Met's former counter-terrorism chief, will also give evidence to the MPs.

Sir Ian’s name was reportedly discovered in 2006, in files belonging to Mulcaire, who was jailed alongside News of the World royal correspondent Clive Goodman, for hacking into the phones of Palace officials.

But officers later denied that the former Met chief’s voicemails had been accessed.

Sir Ian has declined to comment on the claims.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “We will not comment on media speculation or give running commentary on our investigation.”

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News