Saturday 3 December 2016

Video: I've been thrown to lions, says model on footballer injunction

Caroline Gammell

Published 28/04/2011 | 05:00

THE woman at the centre of the latest gagging order to be taken out by a Premier League footballer broke down in tears yesterday as she described how she had been "thrown to the lions".

  • Go To

Imogen Thomas, a model and former Miss Wales, said she had never intended to sell her story about an alleged six-month affair with the married player.

However, the 28-year-old said she was angry that his name had been protected while she had been named and shamed.

The footballer gained an injunction earlier this month.

Speaking on ITV's 'This Morning', Ms Thomas said she did not have as much money as the wealthy sportsman.

"I had no intention of speaking about the man," she said. "I just wish that my name was protected.

"I didn't have £50,000 to get an injunction. How I feel is I have been thrown to the lions and (told to) deal with it. I can't deal with it.

"I am coping with a lot of stress and pressure on my head at the moment. This has just been such an awful experience for me and no one has taken (that) into consideration."

Wearing a bright red dress, the former 'Big Brother' contestant said she and the footballer had met in hotels to carry on their extra-marital affair.

Ms Thomas said the first time she found out that news of their alleged relationship had leaked to the press was when reporters came to her door.

"As foolish as this sounds, I honestly didn't think this would get out into the public domain and I always said I had no intention of selling the story.

"If I was to do that, it would have happened six months ago.

Warning

"I don't want his name splashed all over the newspapers, or his family. I have thought long and hard about this and I don't want that at all."

Ms Thomas said within hours of the media knocking at her door she was contacted by lawyers for the other party, warning her to keep quiet.

"One thing they said was that if I ever, ever spoke that I would be sent to jail. I had no intention of speaking.

"It's not my fault I have been followed and this has happened."

She went on: "I didn't want my name out there in the public domain like this. I have been exploited.

"I just feel really angry. I have taken responsibility for my actions. I know what I have done was wrong.

"I have suffered a lot. It has just been a really, really difficult time for me." (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News