Friday 28 October 2016

US starts extradition bid on FIFA officials held in bribery probe

Rachael Alexander

Published 03/07/2015 | 02:30

Sepp Blatter
Sepp Blatter

America has asked Switzerland to extradite seven FIFA officials arrested in an investigation into a global bribery scandal at soccer's governing body, the Swiss Federal Office of Justice (FOJ) has confirmed.

  • Go To

The move marks the start of a legal process expected to last several months during which the officials, who have been in jail since being detained on US arrest warrants in May, will either keep fighting extradition to the United States or agree to go.

The arrests of the seven, including two then-members of FIFA's executive committee, took place at a Zurich hotel on May 27, two days before FIFA's annual congress, pitching the organisation into turmoil.

American prosecutors say their investigation - which is running parallel to a separate Swiss inquiry - exposes complex money-laundering schemes, millions of dollars in untaxed incomes and tens of millions in offshore accounts held by FIFA officials.

The seven were among 14 people charged in cases involving more than $150m in bribes over a period of 24 years. Those being held in Switzerland include Jeffrey Webb, the former president of FIFA's Americas confederation CONCACAF, and Eugenio Figueredo, who sat on the executive at the time of their arrest.

The FOJ said it would rule on the extradition requests within a few weeks, based on statutory hearings and the responses of the FIFA officials.

A Swiss lawyer for one of the seven defendants who have challenged their extradition said he received a brief notification of the US request for extradition from Swiss judicial authorities, but had no details on its contents. "It is an extradition request for trial (in the US). The trial will be the actual evidence proceedings."

However, international lawyers will be scrambling to arrive in Switzerland in coming days to join their local defence counsel to review documents and coordinate strategy, he said.

He expected the legal process to last until early or mid-August. His client was not negotiating any plea bargain in the US, the Swiss lawyer said. "Now lawyers will come in from all over the Western world," he said, adding that he expected his US counterparts to arrive in Switzerland in coming days.

"We need to make translations and coordinate."

The US Justice Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Under a bilateral treaty, US authorities had up to 40 days to file an extradition request - by today. All seven of the officials had previously said they would contest extradition. Proceedings under the treaty are relatively straightforward, even if the defendants have the right to appeal along the way, legal experts say.

If the FOJ orders extraditions, defendants may appeal to Switzerland's Federal Criminal Court in Bellinzona.

The detainees were provisionally banned by FIFA's own ethics committee following the arrests. FIFA has said that it is cooperating with the investigation.

Meanwhile, Fifa president Sepp Blatter says he has a clear conscience and anyone who calls him corrupt should be sent to jail. The 79-year-old announced last month he will leave his role. Mr Blatter told German magazine 'Bunte' he has done nothing wrong and will go to heaven when he dies.

"Anybody who calls me corrupt because Fifa is corrupt, I can only shake my head," he said. "Everybody who says something like that should go to jail," he added.

A Swiss court last month rejected one official's request to be released on bail, citing the risk he might flee.

The seven are among 14 defendants the US has charged with racketeering, wire fraud, and money laundering conspiracies.

In a 47-count indictment unveiled in a New York federal court, they were accused of taking part "in a 24-year scheme to enrich themselves through the corruption of international soccer". The indictment alleges that US and South American sports marketing executives paid and agreed to pay "well over $150m" in bribes and other illegal payments to obtain lucrative media and marketing rights to football tournaments.

The corruption was planned in the US, the indictment said. The use of US banks to transfer money appears to have been key to the investigation.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News