Tuesday 26 September 2017

Toddler dies after choking on a grape from Pizza Hut

Two-year-old Jacob Jenkins, from Hartlepool, died in Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle after he was put into an induced coma on Friday evening

Jacob Jenkins has died after choking on a grape Photo: Facebook
Jacob Jenkins has died after choking on a grape Photo: Facebook

A little boy who was placed in a coma after choking on a grape in Pizza Hut has died.

Two-year-old Jacob Jenkins was treated by paramedics after the fruit became lodged in his throat in the restaurant branch in Hartlepool Marina.

He was rushed to Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle where he was put into an induced coma on Friday evening.

But last night his mother Abigail Wilson posted a tribute on Facebook, saying her son had ‘gained his angel wings’.

His death came as hundreds of well-wishers met on Seaton Carew seafront, Hartlepool, to release yellow balloons in a show of support for the family.

In the post, Ms Jenkins said: “Me and David want to thank every single person for the support over this awful last few days.

 “Jacob has gained his angel wings at 7pm as you all set off your balloons.

“There was nothing else that could be done for Jacob and as hard as it was we chose that time because we knew he would be in thousands of people’s minds at that exact moment.

“There was nothing we could do. Jacob died in mine and his dad’s arms with his family by his side.

"We then went outside and released our own balloons.

"I won’t be replying to anything as I hope you understand but we are so grateful for the love you have shown our gorgeous Angel xxxx.”

Jacob started choking at the restaurant on Friday while dining with his parents David Jenkins and Abigail Wilson.

 By the time paramedics had arrived, the child’s heart had stopped but he was later revived by doctors in hospital.

The grape had to be removed with surgical scissors and the boy was put into an induced coma on Friday evening, before passing away last night.

Earlier, a Pizza Hut spokesperson said: 'We can confirm that there was a very serious incident involving a child at our Hartlepool Hut.

'Our thoughts and concern are with the child and his family at this very difficult time.'

Online Editors

Editors Choice

Also in World News