Thursday 19 October 2017

Terror threat will be long term - France

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls (L), and French President Francois Hollande (R), walk back to the Elysee palace in Paris after a ceremony at the Ministry of Interior to pay a tribute to a French policeman and his partner, who were killed on June 13 by a man claiming allegiance to the Islamic State group. GETTY
French Prime Minister Manuel Valls (L), and French President Francois Hollande (R), walk back to the Elysee palace in Paris after a ceremony at the Ministry of Interior to pay a tribute to a French policeman and his partner, who were killed on June 13 by a man claiming allegiance to the Islamic State group. GETTY
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

France's president and prime minister have warned that the world faces a long war to defeat terrorism.

President Francois Hollande and prime minister Manuel Valls spoke following the deaths of two police officials killed by an Islamic State extremist.

Anti-terrorism investigators are questioning three suspects and are seeking to determine whether the attacker was working with a larger network.

The attack revived French concerns about the Isil threat after the group targeted Paris last year. Isil continues to warn of attacks and French authorities are on especially high alert around the European Championship soccer tournament taking place across the country until July 10.

Fighting terrorism is "a long war to wage, not just in a few countries but in the whole world, everyone can be concerned", President Francois Hollande said in a speech yesterday at the Elysee Palace.

"I said we were at war, that this war will take a generation, that it will be long," prime minister Manuel Valls said on France Inter radio.

"Other innocent people will die. It is very hard to say.

"People can accuse me - and I completely understand - of making the society even more fearful than it already is today with these events.

"But unfortunately, this is the reality. It will take a generation."

Attacker Larossi Abballa, who had a past terrorist conviction, recorded a video during the attack and posted it online before being killed in a police raid.

Interior minister Bernard Cazeneuve paid homage to the slain police couple yesterday in a ceremony in Paris and a moment of silence was held in many sites.

Irish Independent

Editors Choice

Also in World News