Wednesday 24 May 2017

Strauss Kahn call fuels set-up theory

Henry Samuel in Paris

THE security chief of the group that owns the hotel where Dominique Strauss-Kahn (right) was accused of trying to rape a maid telephoned French President Nicolas Sarkozy's palace within minutes of learning of his arrest, he said yesterday.

France's opposition Socialists said the timing of the call was suspicious. There have been a string of allegations since the 62-year-old former IMF chief's arrest in May, implying he was the victim of a set-up or conspiracy involving the French-based Accor group, which owns the Sofitel hotel in Manhattan where the assault allegedly took place.

Michele Sabban, the Socialist vice-president of the Paris regional council, claimed Mr Strauss-Kahn had been the victim of a "political attack".

Rene-Georges Querry, Accor's head of security, dismissed the claims. He said he had received a call after Mr Strauss-Kahn's arrest, and "merely relayed information that was already public in New York".

The case against Mr Strauss-Kahn has been on the verge of collapse since the prosecution questioned the credibility of the maid's testimony and released the Frenchman without bail. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News