Thursday 19 October 2017

Second suspect in deadly Stockholm lorry attack is released

The truck in the Stockholm attack drove through busy shopping streets
The truck in the Stockholm attack drove through busy shopping streets
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

A second person arrested in connection with the April 7 lorry attack that killed four people and injured 15 others in Stockholm has been released, Swedish authorities said.

The Swedish Prosecution Authority said on Wednesday that the man - who was arrested on April 23 and never publicly identified - was no longer considered a suspect. He was released late on Tuesday.

Rakhmat Akilov, a 39-year-old Uzbek man, has pleaded guilty to a terrorist crime for ramming the lorry into a crowd on a main pedestrian shopping street in the Swedish capital.

Read More: 'Stockholm-style terrorist attack could happen here' - garda conference hears

Police have not disclosed a motive for the attack and no extremist group has claimed responsibility for it.

Akilov's Swedish residency application was rejected last year but police said there was nothing to indicate he might plan an attack.

Press Association

Editors Choice

Also in World News