Six held over Welsh football fan’s death at Wembley
Published 07/09/2011 | 08:00
A murder investigation has been launched by police after a Welsh football fan died following an attack outside Wembley stadium.
Six men, also believed to be supporters of the international side, were arrested in connection with the incident that took place just 25 minutes before the kick-off of England's Euro 2012 qualifier against Wales, Scotland Yard said.
The victim, 44, was found with head injuries on a concourse area outside the turnstiles of the north London sporting venue at around 7.20pm last night following reports of an assault.
Paramedics said the man, named by fellow football supporters as Cardiff City fan Mikey Dye, also suffered a heart attack before being rushed to a north London hospital.
A Met Police spokesman said: "Police were called at approximately 7:20pm on Tuesday, 6 September, to an area outside Wembley Stadium following reports of an assault.
"Officers and London Ambulance Service (LAS) attended. A man, believed to be aged in his 40s, was taken to a north London hospital suffering from head injuries. He was pronounced dead at 8.50pm.
"Police believe they know the man's identity, but await formal identification and confirmation that all next of kin have been informed. A post mortem will be scheduled in due course."
An LAS spokesman said paramedics on standby at the match were on the scene within three minutes, before the victim was taken to hospital in an ambulance belonging to a private medical contractor employed by Wembley.
"LAS staff treated a 44-year-old man who had suffered a cardiac arrest. Extensive efforts were made to resuscitate the patient and he was taken to hospital," added the spokesman.
Menish Huseyin, 29, who was working on a merchandise stall outside the stadium, described the incident as "disheartening".
He told reporters: "It's really shocking news, most games go off without a hiccup. It's really disheartening that someone was coming to a football game and being killed. It's very cowardly."
All six suspects were today being held in police custody for questioning while officers from the Met's Homicide and Serious Crime Command investigate the death.
Scotland Yard has not revealed what the men are being held on suspicion of.
Officials from Championship football club Cardiff City last night issued a statement confirming they had been informed of the death of a supporter following an incident outside Wembley, but would not reveal his name.
It said: "Late on Tuesday night details reached us concerning a tragedy where a Wales and Cardiff City supporter died at the match between England and Wales.
"Out of the respect for the family of the supporter, the sensitivity of the situation and until full details and circumstances are ascertained, no further statements will be made until deemed fit by proper channels."
It is believed married Mr Dye was a member of the Cardiff City internet forum and posted comments under the name Ely Trendy.
Last night the forum's moderator Carl Curtis posted a message which read: "The sad news tonight is that Mikey Dye (Ely Trendy) has died tonight after an incident outside the away turnstiles at Wembley.
"I would urge everyone to leave the whispers, rumours and stories going around the internet tonight where they are out of respect for Mikey's family members and leave your condolences here.
"I have been asked to put this message out from the club and I have also been asked to say that the club will give Mikey a send off on Saturday at the Doncaster game."
Welsh footballer Joe Ledley, who played in his team's 1-0 defeat, described the incident as shocking.
He wrote on his Twitter page: "I can't believe a Welsh fan has been murdered tonight shocking. My thoughts go out to his family."