'Sienna Miller hacker reporter wanted to get caught', court told
Published 30/01/2014 | 12:31
Former tabloid reporter Dan Evans was "a rather risky hacker" who "wanted to get caught" when he was writing high profile stories about the break-up of actors Sienna Miller and Jude Law, a court heard.
Timothy Langdale QC, defence lawyer for former News of the World editor Andy Coulson and who was cross-examining Evans at the Old Bailey, said: "You seem to be a rather risky hacker at this time."
Evans replied: "You might even say in a weird way that I wanted to get caught."
Evans threw doubt that a hacked call on designer Kelly Hoppen's voicemail was a "tearful" message from Miller, her step-daughter, saying it may have been from her sister.
He told the hacking trial: "I have a nagging doubt that it was not Sienna." He suggested it may have been from her sister Natasha.
" I don't actually remember the voicemail. I remember what I took from it and what I drafted from it," Evans said.
When asked why he had missed a Daily Star story on Miller, Evans said: "Daily Star is a notoriously dodgy paper where inaccuracy is the norm"
He noted there had been "Sienna Miller-based" information from it, felt she was upset and getting support from her family.
Mr Langdale took Evans to a police interview in September 2013 where "the inside stuff" which included "Sienna leaving a tearful message" was mentioned.
Evans, 38, who has already admitted his part in hacking in to the voicemails of celebrities, told the court: " I cannot be 100%. I do not have perfect recall about everything that happened. I do not want to mislead."
He later claimed that the reference in a July 2005 story of Ms Miller being tearful had been "inspired" by the information he had gleaned.
The former NotW employee was eventually caught out trying to hack into Ms Hoppen's voicemail and then lied to police with the excuse his Nokia phone had "sticky keys," the court has heard.
Evans has already admitted conspiracy to hack phones at the Sunday Mirror between February 2003 and January 2005, and the same offence at the News of the World between April 2004 and June 2010.
He also pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office between January 2008 and June 2010, and perverting the course of justice by giving a false statement in High Court proceedings.
Coulson, 46, of Kent, former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks, 45, of Oxfordshire, and former NotW managing editor Stuart Kuttner, 73, of Woodford Green, Essex, deny conspiring to hack phones between 2000 and 2006.
Coulson also denies two counts of conspiring with former NotW royal editor Clive Goodman, 56, of Surrey, and others to commit misconduct in a public office.
All seven defendants in the case deny the charges against them.
Evans described the quotes in his story about Miller's family offering her tea and sympathy as just "tabloid fluff - it is not supposed to be forensic stuff".
When asked about the quotes in the article, Evans said: "Whether or not it actually happened? I wasn't a fly on the wall in the room with the people."
Evans also said the colleague who would ask him about "special checks", which he said meant voicemail interception, was sometimes "blase and naive".