News Europe

Monday 22 September 2014

Schumacher 'out of danger' but little hope of full recovery

Tony Paterson

Published 14/06/2014 | 02:30

  • Share

Michael Schumacher is "out of danger" and has been moved from an intensive care unit to a rehabilitation ward in the Grenoble hospital where the comatose driver is being treated for severe brain injuries, a German magazine reported yesterday.

  • Share
  • Go To

Schumacher has been in hospital since he struck a rock with his head during a skiing accident at the French resort of Meribel in December.

Doctors placed him in a medically induced coma in early January to aid his recovery.

Two months ago his manager, Sabine Kehm, said that Schumacher had shown "small, encouraging signs" as doctors struggled to bring him out of the coma and into a so-called "wake up" phase that precedes full consciousness.

Yesterday, the popular German magazine, Bunte, which specialises in celebrity news, reported that Schumacher had been moved from the intensive care unit at the Grenoble hospital to a rehabilitation ward.

The magazine said the driver was "out of danger" but said his chances of making a full recovery appeared to have diminished.

Ms Kehm has made no comment on the Bunte report. Last month, she denied earlier reports that Schumacher had been moved to a rehabilitation unit and insisted that there was no change in his condition.

Earlier this week the former Formula One manager Flavio Briatore claimed that the silence in the Michael Schumacher camp about the stricken driver's condition was "not good news".

There has been widespread speculation that he is in a permanent vegetative state, meaning that he is clinically awake but unable to move or speak. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News