Sunday 4 December 2016

Schoolboy's terror plan to behead his teachers

Tom Whitehead

Published 02/10/2015 | 02:30

The teenager was recruited by Isil online
The teenager was recruited by Isil online

Britain's youngest terrorist planned to behead his teachers and had drawn up a hit list on who to kill first, a court has heard.

  • Go To

The youngster, who masterminded an Islamist plot to attack an Anzac Day parade in Australia, also talked about planting a bomb on a plane.

The schoolboy fanatic was directly recruited by Isil online when he was just 14 and was "wired into" the terrorist network, Manchester Crown Court heard.

It also emerged that the boy, now aged 15, was so extreme that his classmates had nicknamed him "the terrorist".

The fanatic became Britain's youngest terrorist when he admitted directing others to attack police and behead victims at an Anzac Day parade in Melbourne earlier this year.

The attack, which the boy planned from his bedroom in Blackburn, Lancashire, was foiled by police after they arrested the youngster for making threats to kill at his school.

A two-day sentencing hearing was told yesterday that the youngster, who had a troubled family life, had frequently threatened to kill his teachers, including one of whom he told he would "cut your throat".

He told another "you are on my beheading list" and said he had moved "above" another teacher. He threatened a teaching assistant with a pair of scissors and told another: "Your time has come."

The boy plotted with a teenager in Melbourne in March this year to carry out a terror attack on Anzac Day on the centenary of the First World War battle in Gallipoli.

But it has emerged that the boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had been radicalised and recruited online by Australian Isil fanatic Abu Khaled al-Cambodi.

Cambodi described the boy as his "little brother" and put him in touch with Sevdet Besim, the Australian teenager who was allegedly going to carry out the attack.

Paul Greaney QC told the court: "A clear picture emerges of a young person who was, by March 2015, thoroughly and dangerously radicalised and committed to Isil and the idea of violent jihad and who was, moreover, wired into the Isil network."

The court was told that if the plot had not been thwarted it would "in all probability" have resulted in a number of deaths.

The defendant asked Besim whether he wanted to become a martyr and Besim confirmed he did, the court heard.

Besim was referred to by the defendant as "a lone wolf" and was told he was to carry out the attack on his own and could ask for advice.

Mr Greaney said: "(The defendant) added that Besim would need to make a video - by implication a martyrdom video - to send to al-Cambodi, the man to whom we have made much reference, for onward transmission to Al Hayat, the Isil media outlet.

"He told Besim that he would research targets in Melbourne and task him once a suitable target had been identified. Besim volunteered that he would 'love to take out some cops'."

In the early hours of March 18, Besim suggested an attack on Anzac Day, the court heard.

The defendant messaged "Sounds good" and Besim replied: "Make sure the dogs remember this as well as their fallen 'heroes'."

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News