Savile family disgusted by claims that DJ abused schoolgirls
THE nephew of the late broadcaster Jimmy Savile has said his family is "disgusted and disappointed" that allegations of his uncle sexually abusing schoolgirls have been made when he is no longer around to defend himself.
Roger Foster was responding to claims in a TV documentary that his uncle abused girls in his Rolls-Royce and at the BBC TV Centre in London in the 1970s.
Mr Foster, from East Yorkshire, said he was not only concerned for Mr Savile's reputation and legacy but also for the damage the allegations could do to his charities.
He said: "The guy hasn't been dead for a year yet and they're bringing these stories out.
"I don't understand the motives behind this. I think it's very, very sad that you can say these things after someone's died and the law says you can't defend yourself when you're dead."
Mr Savile, who was famous for TV shows including 'Jim'll Fix It' and 'Top Of The Pops' as well as being a DJ on BBC Radio One, died aged 84 at his home in Leeds last October.
'Exposure: The Other Side Of Jimmy Savile' is due to be shown on ITV1 at 11.10pm on Wednesday.
ITV said the programme, which is presented by former detective Mark Williams-Thomas, features contributions from several women who claim Mr Savile was a predator who sexually assaulted them while they were under age.
One woman alleges she was raped by the DJ and another says she was asked to perform a sex act on him.
ITV said one of the contributors explained how she was too frightened to speak out while he was alive.
They said the programme will allege the broadcaster preyed on teenagers he invited to appear on his TV shows.
One 14-year-old girl tells the programme how she met Mr Savile at a school in Surrey in 1974 and he assaulted her in his caravan, which was parked in the grounds.
The BBC responded to reports yesterday that inappropriate behaviour by Mr Savile had been an "open secret" at the corporation by saying it had found no evidence of any misconduct.
It said in a statement: "The BBC has conducted extensive searches of its files to establish whether there is any record of misconduct or allegations of misconduct by Jimmy Savile during his time at the BBC. No such evidence has been found.
"While the BBC condemns any behaviour of the type alleged, in the absence of evidence of any kind . . . that corroborates the allegations that have been made, it is simply not possible for the corporation to take any further action."
The BBC also explained why an investigation by BBC2's 'Newsnight' into Mr Savile was never broadcast.
The programme's editor, Peter Rippon, said: "It is untrue that the 'Newsnight' investigation was dropped for anything other than editorial reasons.
"We have been very clear from the start that the piece was not broadcast because the story we were pursuing could not be substantiated.
"To say otherwise is false and damaging to the BBC and individuals. The notion that internal pressure was applied appears to be a malicious rumour."
Up to 10 women have claimed they were sexually abused by the late DJ when they were teenagers, including the woman who says she was raped.
The BBC's statement came after claims over the weekend that the abuse had been an open secret at the national broadcaster and that it had chosen to turn a blind eye.
Childline founder Esther Rantzen, who was a presenter at the BBC in the 1970s, said people in the TV world had "colluded" with the star and "blocked their ears to the gossip".