Thursday 23 October 2014

Sacked Galliano sues Dior for wrongful dismissal

Chine Labbe Paris

Published 07/02/2013 | 04:00

FASHION designer John Galliano, fired from French couture house Dior in 2011 after an anti-Semitic outburst in public, has begun wrongful dismissal proceedings against his former employer.

Galliano, a talented and theatrical designer once at the top of the fashion world, will argue that he was fired "without real and serious cause", said his lawyer, Chantal Giraud-van Gaver.

Earlier this week, a Paris labour court ruled that it had the right to hear the case.

Dior, part of luxury goods group LVMH, will have two weeks to accept or contest that decision. The court will not hear the case before October or November, Ms Giraud-van Gaver added.

The once-stellar career of Galliano (52) suffered greatly after the British designer was caught on camera making anti-Semitic remarks in a Paris cafe in 2011.

A French court handed down a €6,000 suspended fine after he was found guilty.

He has since apologised and last month issued a statement in which he said he has been in recovery from alcoholism for the past two years.

Last month, Galliano did a three-week residency with Oscar de la Renta's New York studio before New York Fashion Week.

Ms Giraud-van Gaver disputed that her client was seeking €15m in damages, as some media have reported.

She said Galliano was indeed seeking damages, but would not specify an amount.

LVMH has declined to comment on the case.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News