Wednesday 20 September 2017

Prosecutor urges court not to repeat 'mistakes' of Knox appeal

Amanda Knox: freed on appeal in 2011
Amanda Knox: freed on appeal in 2011

Colleen Barry Florence

The prosecutor seeking to reinstate Amanda Knox's guilty verdict in her roommate's 2007 murder has urged an appeals court not to repeat mistakes purportedly made by the court that freed her.

Prosecutor Alessandro Crini said Italy's highest court had "razed to the ground" the Perugia appellate court's 2011 decision to throw out the guilty verdicts by casting doubt on the logic that freed Knox and co-defendant Raffaele Sollecito.

The high court ordered a fresh appeals trial, this time in Florence, saying the earlier decision was full of contradictions.

Mr Crini said the earlier appellate court had "pulverised the elements", separating pieces of evidence that needed to be seen together to get a full picture of the crime.

Mr Crini also argued that a break-in at the apartment had been staged to divert attention from Ms Knox and Mr Sollecito.

Both Ms Knox and Mr Sollecito denied any involvement, saying they weren't in the apartment at the time. A third defendant, Ivory Coast-born Rudy Guede, was convicted in a separate trial of sexually assaulting and stabbing Ms Kercher.

His 16-year sentence, reduced in appeal from an initial 30-year sentence, was upheld by Italy's highest court in 2010.

Ms Knox and Mr Sollecito were convicted in 2009 of killing Ms Kercher, Ms Knox's 21-year-old British roommate, who was found with her throat slit in her bedroom.

They were sentenced to 26 years and 25 years in jail, respectively. The two were freed on appeal in 2011. Ms Knox, who spent four years in jail, did not return to Italy for the third trial.

Irish Independent

Editors Choice

Also in World News