News Europe

Thursday 2 October 2014

Police blacklist to be established

Published 12/02/2013 | 13:16

  • Share
Home Secretary Theresa May announced plans for police chiefs to disclose their pay packages

A blacklist of struck-off police officers is to be formed for the first time under reforms aimed at restoring faith in the service in the wake of a series of scandals.

  • Share
  • Go To

A national register of sacked officers will be set up in a bid to stop dismissed police from being recruited by other forces, Home Secretary Theresa May said.

To crack down on police who attempt to dodge disciplinary hearings by resigning or retiring, proceedings will finish regardless of the officer's departure.

Such measures may have prevented disgraced Pc Simon Harwood from being employed at the time of the G20 protests, where he shoved 47-year-old Ian Tomlinson who later died.

Harwood had previously resigned in the face of disciplinary proceedings and rejoined the service at a later date. He was cleared of killing the father of nine but sacked for gross misconduct.

Elsewhere, vetting procedures will be tightened, chief constables will be required to disclose pay and perks and all officers will have to provide details of second jobs.

Meanwhile, the watchdog, the Independent Police Complaints Commission, is to be expanded to deal with all serious complaints against the police.

Mrs May said: "I do not believe there is endemic corruption in the police and I know that the vast majority of police officers conduct themselves with the highest standards of integrity.

"But it doesn't mean that we should ignore the fact that when it does occur, police corruption and misconduct undermines justice, lets down the decent majority of officers and damages the public's confidence in the police."

The announcement came on the day officers from Operation Elveden - the Metropolitan Police investigation into corrupt payments to public officials - made their 60th arrest.

Press Association

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News