Phone hacking victims push to confront Rupert Murdoch
Victims of phone hacking may be given the chance to confront Rupert Murdoch face-to-face, a spokesman for News International said today.
As pressure continue to grew on the embattled parent company of the News of the World, alleged victims asked for the chance to speak directly to the media owner.
Graham Foulkes, whose son was killed in the July 7 bombings, was told his phone may have been hacked in the days following the terrorist attacks which left 52 dead across London.
Speaking on the BBC Today programme, he said: "I'd really like to meet [Murdoch] and have a very in-depth conversation with him about responsibility and the power that he has and how it should be used appropriately. I would very much like to meet him and have that conversation."
He added: "It fills me with horror. We were in a very dark place. You think it's as dark as it can get and then you realise there's someone out there who can make it darker."
Simon Greenberg, director of corporate affairs at News International, said a potential meeting was “certainly something we would consider”.
Mr Foulkes is one of a “handful” of July 7 families who police believe may have had their phones targeted by investigators working for the News of the World.
He was told by a senior police officer yesterday that both his mobile and his ex-directory landline, which was known to only a small group, may have been hacked.
Mr Greenberg said News International was in “fully co-operative mode” and said that if the allegations related to Milly Dowler and the July 7 families were true it would be considered “wrong doing” by the company.
News International was "shocked and appalled" by the July 7 allegations, as it was with claims that Milly Dowler's phone had been hacked, Mr Greenberg said.