Friday 21 July 2017

Phone hacking: Mother of 7/7 victim sues NOTW

Brian Farmer

The mother of a man who died in the 7/7 terrorist attacks on London six years ago has become the latest person to take legal action against the News of the World over phone-hacking allegations, a High Court judge was told today.

Lawyers told Mr Justice Vos at a High Court hearing in London that Sheila Henry, mother of Christian Small, launched proceedings earlier this week.

But the judge was told that the parents of murdered teenager Milly Dowler had not sued publishers of the newspaper.

The judge said he was not aware of any evidence to substantiate a report that he had been a victim of phone hacking.

Mr Justice Vos said the Daily Star newspaper reported that he was believed to have been a victim of hacking.

The judge also heard that actor Jude Law had sued publishers of The Sun newspaper as well as the News of the World.

And the preliminary hearing was told that Liberal Democrat MP Simon Hughes had issued proceedings against the News of the World.

Mr Justice Vos is next due to analyse the progress of litigation at a hearing in October - and a trial of lead cases is scheduled for early 2012.

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News