Wednesday 28 September 2016

Pensioners threatened with council action for playing loud Fleetwood Mac music

Tom Rowley

Published 22/06/2015 | 07:48

Singer Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac performs on the Main Stage at the Isle of Wight Festival, in Seaclose Park, Newport, Isle of Wight. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Sunday June 14, 2015. Photo credit should read: Yui Mok/PA Wire
Singer Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac performs on the Main Stage at the Isle of Wight Festival, in Seaclose Park, Newport, Isle of Wight. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Sunday June 14, 2015. Photo credit should read: Yui Mok/PA Wire

With a combined age of 136 and a house in the suburbs of Plymouth, grandparents Robert and Christine Fox hardly fit the stereotype for perpetrators of anti-social behaviour.

  • Go To

Yet they have been threatened with an ASBO by their local council after neighbours complained they were playing their favourite Roy Orbison and Fleetwood Mac songs too loudly.

Council workers turned up at their home last week to issue them with a stern letter, warning them that their neighbours apparently do not share their taste in Sixties rock.

They will return with specialist equipment to monitor noise levels and ensure the Foxes do not turn up the decibels once again.

The couple admitted they had been playing music in the garden, but said they had turned it off by 6.30 each evening and had never been challenged directly by their neighbours.

“I was annoyed that a neighbour of mine felt the need to report me and not come to me about it,” said Mr Fox, 68, a retired lorry driver.

“Apparently, I’m unapproachable. I’m so upset by all of this. We’ve never done anything wrong all our lives and now we’ve got all this to deal with.

“We are both retired and we just enjoy spending our time out in the garden while the weather is so sunny. We’ve always made sure our music is turned off by 6.30pm every evening. I belong to the local over-60s club and all my friends can’t believe it.”

The couple’s daughter, Laura, said the council’s reaction was “entirely over the top”.

“They have lived in this house for 36 years and there hasn’t been a single complaint from any neighbours,” she said.

A spokesman for Plymouth County Council said it would take no further action unless it receives more complaints.

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News