Passenger and knifeman die after Swiss train attack
The man who attacked passengers on a crowded Swiss train with a knife and burning liquid died of his wounds yesterday, as did one of his victims, a 34-year-old woman, Swiss police said.
Police were last night still searching for a motive but said there's no indication the suspect, identified only as a 27-year-old Swiss man from a neighbouring region, had ties to extremist groups.
A 43-year-old woman, a six-year-old girl and 17-year-old girl remained hospitalised last night with serious injuries, St Gallen state police spokesman Hans-Peter Kruesi said.
A 17-year-old youth and 50-year-old man wounded in the attack have been treated and released, he said.
Kruesi said all the victims lived in the St Gallen area.
Swiss police searched the suspect's home after the Saturday afternoon attack on the train as it neared the station in Salez, close to the Liechtenstein border.
Kruesi would not comment on what evidence was seized at the home, but said "so far there are no indications this was a terrorist or politically motivated crime".
Police were not able to question the suspect before he died, Kruesi said, adding that the man had no criminal record and was not previously known to police.
According to a video of the attack evaluated by police, the assailant acted alone, attacking passengers on the train between Buchs and Sennwald with a knife and then burning liquid, which is now being analyzed by a police forensics team.
The train driver was being credited with quick thinking, continuing into the Salez station before stopping, a move that allowed police and rescue crews to get on board easier. Five passengers on the train were wounded in the attack and a sixth person on the train platform, the 50-year-old man, was wounded as he pulled the burning suspect off the train, police said.