News Europe

Tuesday 26 September 2017

Paris erupts after Chinese father is shot dead by police

Demonstrators from the Asian community face riot police officers outside Paris’s 19th district’s police station yesterday. Three police officers were injured in protests and 35 protesters arrested, authorities said. Photo: Michel Euler/AP
Demonstrators from the Asian community face riot police officers outside Paris’s 19th district’s police station yesterday. Three police officers were injured in protests and 35 protesters arrested, authorities said. Photo: Michel Euler/AP

Henry Samuel in Paris

China has called on France to better protect the "security and rights" of its citizens after police shot dead a father of five at his home in Paris, sparking riots in which 35 people were arrested and three officers hurt.

The clashes on Sunday night were the latest in a string of angry demonstrations against police in France. The protests in the multicultural 19th district of the capital on Monday night were held after reports that Shaoyo Liu was shot in front of his children while cutting up fish with scissors at his home. Police said the officer had fired in self-defence.

China has made an official complaint to French embassy officials in Beijing, according to Hua Chunying, a spokesman for the Chinese foreign ministry. France must protect the "security and rights" of Chinese citizens, she added.

Calling for calm, she said: "We hope that our compatriots in France will make their complaints known in a reasonable and legal manner." During the clashes with police that lasted several hours, protesters broke down barricades, threw projectiles and set fire to a car.

Police said they had been called in to deal with a "family row" and "as soon as they opened the door", the man lunged at an officer, wounding him with the blade. A colleague then opened fire to protect him, said a police spokesman.

However, Calvin Job, a lawyer for the family, said: "He didn't wound anyone." An internal police inquiry is under way.

The French foreign ministry said in a statement that an inquiry was under way into the shooting and added that the security of Chinese citizens in France was a priority for the national authorities.

"Additional (security) measures have been taken in recent months and everything has been done to provide them with the best conditions for living here and for their security," it said. (© Daily Telegraph London)

Telegraph.co.uk

Editors Choice

Also in World News