Saturday 3 December 2016

No hair of the dog cure for tipsy pup owner

Lucy Bogustawski

Published 05/01/2012 | 05:00

A MAN has been banned from having a dog for three years after his six-month-old Labrador puppy got drunk on vodka and coke.

  • Go To

Matthew Cox (26) had been at home drinking with his flatmate on August 22 when he put his drink down on the floor and went outside to smoke.

When he came back in he realised his black puppy, Max (below), had swallowed the contents of the glass, which was made up of one quarter vodka and three quarters coke.

Nottingham Magistrates' Court heard that Cox did not deal with Max that night, even though the puppy was swaying, because he was himself too drunk. He left him with his flatmate before going out.

Prosecutor Maria Moore told the court two girls saw Max that evening falling over and staggering about near shops close to Cox's home at Rathvale Court in Chilwell, Nottingham, Uk, and called the police.

Max was found at Cox's home with his flatmate and was removed by officers as they were so worried about his health.

Mrs Moore said: "Due to the state of the dog, the police officer, being an animal lover, took the dog to the emergency vet."

She said that Max, who Cox had owned for around three and a half months, was immediately put on an intravenous drip for eight to 10 hours to flush alcohol from his system.

He needed another 12 hours on a drip the next day to restore him back to full health.

Max has since been given a clean bill of health and has been rehomed by the RSPCA.

In court yesterday, Cox pleaded guilty to failing to ensure an animal's welfare, namely failing to prevent an animal from consuming alcohol, and was disqualified from keeping or owning a dog for three years and given a two-year conditional discharge

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News