Nigella Lawson's US travel ban 'has been lifted'
Nigella Lawson, the celebrity chef, is allowed back into the United States as it emerges that a ban on her entering the country over drug taking claims has been lifted
Nigella Lawson’s travel ban to the US imposed in the wake of an admission that she had taken cocaine has been lifted, it emerged today.
The celebrity chef is understood to have been given permission to travel for auditions of the third series of her television show The Taste taking place in the autumn.
Sources close to Miss Lawson told The Sunday People that her lawyers along with ABC television had succeeded in seeking a “waiver of inadmissibility” allowing her to enter the country.
The move comes after the 54-year-old was barred from boarding a flight at Heathrow earlier this year. It was apparently as a result of comments she made about taking drugs while giving evidence in the trial of two of her staff accused of fraud.
The US can prevent anyone who has committed drugs offences from travelling to the country even if they have not been charged.
It emerged that US authorities later invited her to apply for a visa soon, pledging the matter could be handled "routinely and expeditiously".
The Sunday People quoted a source close to Miss Lawson as saying: “It has been a torrid year for Nigella but now things are starting to come together. She is very happy about this. She can now continue her role on The Taste, something she enjoys immensely."
Last November, Miss Lawson, a mother of two, confessed she had taken cocaine seven times on two occasions.
"I've never been a drug addict, I've never been a habitual user,” she said. “There are two occasions in my life when I used cocaine."