Saturday 10 December 2016

Newspaper hacking scandal 'affected thousands'

Lauren Turner in London

Published 11/04/2011 | 05:00

THE 'News of the World' phone-hacking scandal could have affected thousands of people, it has been claimed.

  • Go To

Lawyer Charlotte Harris, who represents several of the celebrities involved, said up to 7,000 people may have had their voicemail intercepted.

The claim comes as the 'News of the World' publicly apologised to victims in the latest edition of the newspaper, saying: "Here today, we publicly and unreservedly apologise to all such individuals. What happened to them should not have happened. It was and remains unacceptable."

Ms Harris, whose clients include football agent Sky Andrew, said his position was the same as that of publicist Nicola Phillips and actress Sienna Miller -- who have said they would not accept a settlement from the newspaper until they had received full disclosure.

Speaking on BBC Radio Four's 'The World This Weekend', she said: "What we have at the moment is an apology and an admission, having been working on this for a very long time. We haven't even got near the truth yet."

Access

Discussing the number of phones that could have been hacked into, Ms Harris said: "If you consider that if you hack into one person's phone, you have access to everyone who has left a message for them. And then, if you go into the person who has left a message, you get all of theirs.

"To put a figure on it, it is certainly not a handful -- maybe 4,000, 6,000, 7,000 -- a huge amount of people."

Miller's solicitor has said the actress will do everything possible to hold to account those responsible for the "outrageous violations of her privacy".

It is understood that the paper has also issued apologies to former culture secretary Tessa Jowell and footballer- turned-broadcaster Andy Gray.

News International said the move applied to allegations of voicemail hacking at the 'News of the World' from 2004 to 2006.

Last week detectives investigating the allegations arrested the paper's chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck (50), and its former head of news Ian Edmondson (42).

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News