New fears for health of Prince Philip after return to hospital
QUEEN Elizabeth's husband Prince Philip is expected to spend up to a fortnight in hospital after undergoing an abdominal operation.
The latest bout of sickness prompted fresh concerns for his health.
The prince, who will turn 92 on Monday, attended the London Clinic by previous appointment for an exploratory operation to be carried out under general anaesthetic.
He was said to be in "good spirits" and walked into the hospital unaided after being driven there by car.
Earlier in the day, he looked well as he attended a Buckingham Palace garden party.
Sources said Philip was not suffering from any pain or discomfort and had arranged to have the operation after doctors "picked something up" during a routine health check.
The queen was said to be "naturally concerned" but both she and Philip have taken the setback in their stride. The queen will carry on with her official duties today, when she will open the BBC's new headquarters.
Last night, Buckingham Palace said: "The duke of Edinburgh has been admitted to the London Clinic for an exploratory operation following abdominal investigations. He is expected to stay in hospital for up to two weeks."
David Cameron was among the first to pass on his regards, tweeting: "My best wishes to the duke of Edinburgh who is in hospital tonight."
It is understood that Philip's condition is unrelated to the bladder infection he suffered during last year's Diamond Jubilee celebrations, which was thought to have been brought on by exposure to the cold during the Thames River Pageant.
A source said: "He has been carrying out engagements all week and his hospital trip was planned in advance." (© Daily Telegraph, London)