Thursday 27 October 2016

Muslim migrants threw nine Christian refugees into sea on way to Italy

Nick Squires in Rome

Published 17/04/2015 | 02:30

A migrant comes ashore in Sicily
A migrant comes ashore in Sicily
A view of Caltagirone in Sicily . The number of migrants reaching Italy by sea this year is set to top last year's record of 170,000.

At least nine Christian refugees drowned in the Mediterranean when they were thrown overboard by Muslim migrants after a row provoked by religious differences erupted on a boat sailing from Libya to Italy.

  • Go To

Italian police and prosecutors were investigating the deaths, which emerged from evidence provided by the 100 other asylum seekers on board the vessel after it was rescued by Italian ships and taken to Palermo in Sicily.

Fifteen Muslim migrants, believed to be from Senegal, Ivory Coast, Mali and Guinea Bissau, were arrested by police, accused of having thrown the Christians from Ghana and Nigeria into the sea after the fight broke out.

They are suspected of being responsible for "multiple murders, aggravated by religious hatred", the police said in a statement. Some reports said that as many as 12 Christians had been thrown overboard.

The Muslims were identified by other refugees, some of whom were in tears as they recounted the story to the Italian authorities. If true, it is thought it would be the first case of deaths being caused by a clash between Muslim and Christian asylum seekers on board the boats that have so far this year taken 15,000 migrants to Italian shores from North Africa. Italian conservative politicians accused the centre-Left government of Matteo Renzi of allowing "fundamentalists" into Italy and called for a blockade of the refugee boats.

"Intervention is now urgent because what has happened is extremely worrying," said Maurizio Gasparri, a senator with Silvio Berlusconi's Forza Italia party. "The Renzi government is bringing in Islamist fundamentalists and using Italian ships as taxis for potential jihadis."

Ignazio La Russa, another centre-right politician, said: "The government is not only bringing to its knees the social fabric of our cities [through immigration], but is allowing onto Italian soil fundamentalist terrorists."

Meanwhile, a further 41 migrants were reported to have died in a separate incident in which a small boat sank in the Mediterranean. Four survivors told Italian police and humanitarian organisations that their inflatable dinghy sank not long after leaving the coast of Libya with 45 people on board.

The capsizing, which is being investigated, came just days after 400 people were reported to have drowned in another shipwreck north of the Libyan coast.

Paolo Gentiloni, the Italian foreign minister, said the influx of migrants could only be tackled if the unrest in Libya was addressed by the international community. The breakdown of law and order following the toppling of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011 has enabled people smuggling gangs to act with impunity, making millions of pounds from sending migrants across the Mediterranean.

In an interview yesterday with an Italian daily newspaper, the minister said it might be necessary to take military action against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil), which was worsening the security situation in parts of Libya, particularly the east.

Mr Gentiloni raised the prospect of "targeted anti-terrorist strikes" against Isil, as well as action against people-smuggling gangs.

Libya desperately needed a unified government and "collaboration with neighbouring countries for the acceptance of refugees", he added. Time was running out, he warned, amid warnings from humanitarian agencies that up to half a million migrants may try to cross the Mediterranean this year - a figure that would dwarf the 170,000 who reached Italy in 2014. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News