Saturday 10 December 2016

Murdered Milly's family want Brooks to step down

Anthony Aarons in London

Published 12/07/2011 | 05:00

The family of Milly Dowler, the 13-year-old girl who was murdered in 2002, believes that Rebekah Brooks should resign over allegations that the girl's phone was hacked by the 'News of the World' newspaper.

  • Go To

Mark Lewis, a lawyer for the family, said Brooks, who previously served as editor of the newspaper and is now chief executive officer of News Corp's UK unit, should step down over the scandal.

"She should take responsibility and resign," Mr Lewis told reporters at a televised press conference in London last night following a meeting with Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg.

The Dowlers joined former police officer Brian Paddick with the 'Hacked Off' group who are campaigning for justice over their privacy being breached by the media.

The Dowlers are suing the 'News of the World' over claims their daughter's phone was targeted by the newspaper when she went missing in 2002.

Talks will be held later in the week with Prime Minister David Cameron. And the Media Standards Trust, which has led a campaign on the issue and has organised the meetings, said it was also arranging a session with Labour leader Ed Miliband.

News that Milly's phone was among those targeted kicked off a tsunami of public outrage, fuelled by reports that the July 7, 2005, London bombing victims' families also had their messages hacked, which resulted in the Sunday newspaper's closure and the announcement by Mr Cameron of a judge-led inquiry into the scandal.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News