Munich gunman 'had no links to Islamic State', say police
Published 23/07/2016 | 12:00
There is no evidence the gunman who killed nine people and injured 27 in Munich had links to Islamic State, local police said.
Born and raised in the German city, officials said the 18-year-old, named in reports as Ali Sonboly, acted alone when he went on a shooting spree at a shopping centre and fast-food restaurant on Friday.
They also revealed he used a 9mm pistol and had 300 rounds of ammunition in his rucksack when he went on what they called a "classic shooting rampage".
Police said the weapon was a Glock 17 handgun which had had its serial number illegally filed off and there were indications the gunman had been in psychiatric care and treated for depression.
They confirmed his room in the flat he was living in had been searched and that documents of "frenzied attacks" had been discovered.
Ten of those injured in the mass-shooting were said to be in a critical condition, including a 13-year-old boy.
With parts of the crime scene now cleared and released - police said it was too soon to say as to when the Olympic shopping centre would re-open.