Mum's horror after hundreds of deadly spiders burst out of banana
'I started freaking out and screaming, trying to kill as many as I could'
A mum has expressed her horror after hundreds of one of the world's most deadly spiders burst out from a banana she had just peeled.
Gemma Price (30) had bought the Costa Rican banana in her local supermarket.
She described how she screamed when a tiny white egg sac which was stuck to the skin of the fruit burst open and a cluster of spiders fell out.
The spiders, known as Brazilian wandering spiders, are potentially venomous.
Speaking to the Daily Mail, Ms Price said she threw the banana down on the bed and started "freaking out and screaming, trying to kill as many as I could."
She said some of the spiders got into her child's cot, so she picked her son up and rang emergency services.
"The operator asked if we had been bitten and when I said no. I was told to evacuate the property with my baby immediately and not go to back. My mother lived just across the road, so luckily I had somewhere to go that time of night," she said.
The mum-of-one was only able to return to her house three days later after specialists attended the scene and exterminated the spiders.
She added; "It has put me off bananas. I haven't had any since last week."