Missing man David Dixon confirmed dead following Brussels terror attacks
Published 25/03/2016 | 11:40
A Briton who has been missing since the deadly terror attacks in Brussels has been confirmed dead.
The family of Briton David Dixon, 53, who is originally from Hartlepool but was living in the Belgian capital, said they had received "the most terrible and devastating news".
At least 32 people were killed and 270 injured when suicide bombs ripped through the airport and a Metro station on Tuesday morning.
A statement issued on behalf of Mr Dixon's family said: "This morning we received the most terrible and devastating news about our beloved David. At this most painful time our family would gratefully appreciate it if we could be left alone to grieve in private. Please respect our wishes."
A statement from the Foreign Office said: "We can confirm David Dixon lost his life in the attacks which took place in Brussels on Tuesday 22 March 2016. Our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time and our Embassy staff are continuing to support them.
"We know of seven British nationals who were injured in the attacks - three are still being treated in hospital. Our Embassy staff are working to assist all British nationals affected."
Mr Dixon had been missing since the Metro blast, and his family previously said they were "anxiously waiting" and hoping for "good news" about him.
Belgian prosecutors have said six people have been arrested in connection with the attacks.
Three terrorists died in the explosions and a massive manhunt was launched to track down other suspects believed to be behind the blasts.
Belgian prosecutors said the arrests were made during raids in central Brussels, Jette and the Schaerbeek neighbourhood - where police found a large stash of explosives and other bomb-making material earlier this week in a flat believed to be used by the suicide bombers.
A German magazine is reporting that two people with possible links to those involved in the Brussels attacks have been arrested separately in Germany.
Der Spiegel reported that a man whom Turkish authorities flew to Amsterdam last summer along with one of the El Bakraoui brothers was arrested in Duesseldorf on Thursday.
The magazine said authorities are looking into whether the two knew each other.
Der Spiegel and broadcasters SWR and RBB reported that another man was arrested in Giessen on Wednesday.
According to reports, the man received two suspicious text messages on the day of the Brussels attacks - one containing the name of one of the attackers, and the other the French word "fin" (end).
An explosion has reportedly been heard during a police operation in Schaerbeek.