‘Major terrorism plot’ foiled in France
The arrest of Frenchman suspected of belonging to a militant network has foiled a major attack in France, according to officials.
"The individual questioned, a French national, is suspected of high-level involvement in this plan. He was part of a terrorist network that planned to strike France," said French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve.
The French counterterrorism service DGSI also carried out a raid last night at an apartment building in Argenteuil, a suburb in northern Paris.
"At this stage, there is no tangible evidence that links this plot to the attacks in Paris and Brussels," said Mr Cazeneuve.
French radio station France Info said the man had been sentenced in Belgium for belonging to a jihadist network. French TV station ITele reported that explosives had been found in the man's house.
Witnesses said the area had been locked down and residents were unable to return home for hours after the raid began.
France has been on high alert since the November 13 attacks in Paris that killed 130 people and injured hundreds. Mr Cazeneuve said there had been 75 arrests since the beginning of the year.