Machete-wielding attacker who injured two female police officers dies after police shot him
Published 06/08/2016 | 17:40
Belgian prime minister Charles Michel says "preliminary indications" suggest the attack against two female officers in the city of Charleroi was an act of terrorism, but that authorities are still collecting information.
The prime minister has cut short his vacation in the south of France and will return to Belgium for a meeting on Sunday of the National Security Council.
The machete attack on Saturday took place at a wooden hut that had been erected outside the Charleroi police station to provide an additional layer of security.
Paul Magnette, mayor of the city in southern Belgium, said the checkpoint succeeded in preventing the attacker from reaching the building and causing more havoc. The mayor said that in the wake of the attack, Belgian authorities are discussing whether security for police facilities and officers should be beefed up further.
Belgium has been on a high state of alert since the attacks in Paris on November 13 that killed 130 victims. Many of the attackers, who pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group, lived in Belgium.
Last weekend, a 33-year-old man identified only as Nourredine H. was arrested on charges of participating in a terrorist group and planning "terr