Louvre machete attack suspect is facing attempted murder charges
The suspect in last week's machete attack at the Louvre Museum is facing preliminary charges of attempted murder and association with a terrorist organization, the Paris prosecutor's office said.
The 28-year-old suspect - who French officials believe to be Egyptian - was charged on Friday.
The prosecutor's office said the man, who Egyptian authorities identify as Abdullah Reda Refaie al-Hamahmy, remains in hospital after he was shot four times during the February 3 attack. His injuries are not life-threatening.
The Louvre Museum reopened to the public on Saturday, a day after the attack in which a man shouting Allahu akbar attacked French soldiers guarding the sprawling building.
French President Francois Hollande has said there is "no doubt" that the suspect's actions were a terror attack.