Thursday 25 December 2014

London 'terror threat': Metropolitan police deny tube attack hoax

Published 01/09/2014 | 14:47

The Metropolitan Police have been forced to deny rumours of a terror attack on the London underground after a hoax text message was widely shared on social media.

A text message, circulated mainly through social media, read: "They think there's a terror threat and that it will happen on the tubes tomorrow around the west end area. So don't go travelling on tubes!! It's better to be safe than sorry. Please share."

It continued: "Every single police officer in the met has been called into work from 4am onwards".

A Met Police spokesman said: “This rumour is completely untrue,” adding that the false claims had been circulating since last Friday.

He said: "These rumours are not uncommon. The only thing that gives them any credence is people re-tweeting them and circulating them."

According to the text the attack was due to take place this Saturday.

Yesterday Chief Superintendent Paul Brogden of the British Transport police tweeted: "Social media contains lots of rumours regarding threats to tube network tomorrow. There is no specific threat so keep calm & carry on."

Despite this statement, many Twitter users continued to voice their concerns.

terr.JPG

 terry.JPG

The threat comes as the Home Secretary Theresa May raised the official threat level last week from ‘substantial’ to ‘severe’ – the second-highest state – for the first time in three years.

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News