Monday 20 February 2017

Killer's 'bloody crusade'linked to UK cell

Hunt now on for 'network of murderers'

Gordon Rayner, Duncan Gardham and John Bingham in London

Published 25/07/2011 | 05:00

AN urgent hunt for possible British accomplices of the mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik is under way after it emerged that he launched his deadly "crusade" after meeting other right-wing extremists in London.

  • Go To

Before he carried out Norway's worst terrorist atrocity, Breivik typed out a chilling 1,500-page description of his plans, written entirely in English and datelined "London, 2011".

He signed the extraordinary document "Andrew Berwick", an Anglicised version of his name, and described his "mentor" as an Englishman he named as Richard.

Scotland Yard counter-terrorism officers are now trying to establish whether Breivik visited London earlier this year, as the manifesto suggests, and whether he is part of a wider network preparing to carry out a wave of similar attacks.

The 32-year-old boasts that he is just one of up to 80 "solo martyr cells" recruited throughout the UK and western Europe who are ready to follow his example of trying to overthrow governments tolerant of Islam.

He regards himself as a successor to the medieval Knights Templar, and claims to have been recruited at a meeting in London in April 2002, hosted by two English extremists and attended by eight people in total.

Any member of a political group that has allowed Muslims to migrate to their country is regarded as a "target" who deserves "the death penalty" according to his crazed writings.

He also spoke of being in touch with the far-right group the English Defence League and repeatedly referred to British politicians including Gordon Brown and Tony Blair, who are blamed for making London a global hub of Islamic terrorism.

It came as:

•The death toll in the twin attacks on Oslo and the island of Utoya rose to 98, with others still listed as missing.

•Breivik's father, a retired diplomat who once served in London, spoke of his "absolute horror" at his son's crimes.

•Norwegian police were caught out despite having warned in March of the danger that far-right groups could be planning a terror attack.

•It emerged that the police response to the massacre on Utoya was hampered when a boat was overloaded with equipment and its motor stopped.

•Breivik's lawyer said his client regarded his actions as "atrocious but necessary".

At a memorial service yesterday, the Norwegian Prime Minister, Jens Stoltenberg, was joined by the country's King and Queen in mourning the "national tragedy".

Breivik had spent nine years planning the atrocity, and spent three years writing his manifesto "A European Declaration of Independence" which was emailed to 5,700 people he had found on Facebook hours before he detonated a fertiliser bomb in the centre of Oslo.

Diversion

The bomb, he makes clear, was merely a diversion designed to draw police away from the real target, the Labour Party summer camp on Utoya where he gunned down at least 91 students.

He even discusses his reason for disguising himself as a policeman, to cause "confusion and hesitation" and buy an extra few seconds in which to fire off "two head shots".

But it is his descriptions of meetings with British accomplices that has led to fears he may be part of a network intent on mass murder.

Scotland Yard's domestic extremism unit is trying to identify the eight other people who attended the inaugural meeting of the "European Military Order and Criminal Tribunal" of the "Knights Templar" in London in April 2002.

He writes: "The order is to serve as an armed Indigenous Rights Organisation and as a Crusader Movement," and says the "founding session" was hosted by an English Protestant, with another English extremist also present.

Other attendees came from France, Germany, Greece, the Netherlands and Russia.

He writes: "I had or have a relatively close relationship with . . . an Englishman, who became my mentor. He was the one who first described the 'perfect knight' . . . let's call him Richard."

Describing the people at the meeting, he adds: "Most of them were successful entrepreneurs, business or political leaders, some with families."

Breivik claimed to have had online conversations with members of the English Defence League.

The EDL issued a statement saying: "We can categorically state that there has never been any official contact between him and the EDL."

Parts of the manifesto written by Breivik were taken almost word for word from the writings of "Unabomber" Ted Kaczynski. The passages copied appear in the first few pages of Kaczynski's own manifesto. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News