'Kill as many people as possible' - Man threatened to commit massacre at school
Published 08/01/2016 | 08:30
A 54-year-old man who was arrested following online threats to carry out a massacre at a Blackpool school has been bailed.
Lancashire Police said that the suspect from Blackpool, who was arrested on Wednesday on suspicion of public nuisance and malicious communication offences, has been bailed pending further inquiries until April 20.
The messages, which had been posted on social media on Facebook and Reddit on December 30 and 31, spoke of plans to "kill as many people as possible" at Montgomery High School in Bispham when the new term began on Monday.
The school opened as usual with officers providing a visible presence on site to reassure - yet many parents chose to keep their children away.
The day passed without incident after police ruled the threat was "not credible".
That night a further post on the Blackpool Gazette newspaper's website by a user named "The Real John Smith" claimed they were the person responsible for the original comments and apologised for their actions, said Lancashire Police.