Thursday 21 September 2017

Kate's name was on list for hacking, court hears

Kate Middleton
Kate Middleton
Glenn Mulcaire, who was jailed for hacking

Martin Evans

KATE Middleton's name was found on a list of 'targets' in Glenn Mulcaire's notes, a court has heard.

Her name was one of a number of high-profile figures, including some royals, who were apparently identified by convicted phone hacker Mulcaire as potential targets.

The handwritten list, which was entitled 'Target Evaluation', was among 8,000 pages of notes seized from Mulcaire's home by police in 2006.

Other names on the list included Jamie Loather-Pinkerton, private secretary to Princes William and Harry; Helen Asprey, their diary secretary; Michael Fawcett, the former senior valet to the Prince of Wales; and Kate Waddington, the Duchess of York's former PR woman.

Also on the list were names from the sporting, political and celebrity worlds, including PR guru Max Clifford, London mayor Boris Johnson and footballer David James.

It is not clear what Mulcaire used the list for, but the jury has been told that a number of names that appeared have been the victims of phone hacking, including former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson and model Abi Titmuss.

Andrew Edis QC, prosecuting, told the jury: "You will come across the name Kate Middleton in a passage of evidence."

One of the other names on the list was Lord Freddie Windsor, the only son of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent.

EVIDENCE

The jury was told that Lord Windsor's voicemail was accessed by Mulcaire in 2006 and recordings of voicemails left for him were found when police searched Mulcaire's house. Mr Edis explained that records showed that there had been 13 calls to Lord Windsor's mobile from Mulcaire's phone and four calls from a News International number.

The jury also saw an email from former 'News of the World' royal editor Clive Goodman to the then head of news Ian Edmondson, setting out details about Lord Windsor's personal circumstances.

The jury was also shown an email that Mulcaire sent to Mr Edmondson on April 27, 2006, with details of Lord Windsor's mobile and PIN number and details of how to hack the phone.

Just 25 minutes later, phone records show Lord Windsor's mobile was hacked from a private line at News International's Wapping headquarters.

The court also heard evidence about other hacking victims from the worlds of politics, sport and showbusiness.Jurors were told Lord Prescott, the former deputy prime minister, was targeted after his affair with his diary secretary Tracey Temple was exposed.

The 'News of the World' also hacked journalists working for the rival 'Mail on Sunday' in a bid to spoil their exclusive on the relationship.

Former culture secretary Tessa Jowell was also targeted following the 2006 investigation into her husband David Mills' financial affairs. Former 'News of the World' editor Andy Coulson (45); former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks (45); former head of news Ian Edmondson (44); and the tabloid's ex-managing editor Stuart Kuttner (73) all deny conspiring with others to hack phones between October 3, 2000 and August 9, 2006. The case continues. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Editors Choice

Also in World News