News Europe

Sunday 31 August 2014

Jimmy Savile family back calls to exhume and cremate shamed star

Published 08/11/2012 | 05:00

  • Share

A NEPHEW of Jimmy Savile has said that he would like to have his uncle's body exhumed.

  • Share
  • Go To

Guy Marsden, son of Savile's sister Marjorie, said he believes other members of the family would agree that he should be moved from Scarborough's Woodlands Cemetery and cremated to spare the anguish of other families.

"If it is causing heartache and pain we would definitely go along with the people of Scarborough and the people whose loved ones are buried there," he said.

"My own personal view, if it came to it and it had to be moved, let's get it done."

Several families of people buried in the council-owned cemetery say they don't want his body to remain in its prime position above all the other graves at the top of the hill.

Retired nurse June Thornton has also said that she wants the former television star to be dug up and dumped at sea. Her parents are buried in the cemetery.

"I don't know whether I'm being evil or not, but he liked the sea so I just hope that they dig his body up and take it to the sea. He'd be happy, and I certainly would," she said.

It has also emerged that claims the disgraced DJ abused girls at a children's home in Jersey are to be examined by a new independent inquiry.

It comes after revelations about the late TV presenter reawakened concerns about his visits to Haut de la Garenne.

Four years ago, the home was the subject of a police investigation over allegations that it was at the centre of a paedophile ring. Lenny Harper, the officer who led the probe, said last month that while Savile's name had come up there was not enough evidence to charge him.

'Steptoe and Son' actor Wilfrid Brambell, who died in 1985, has also been linked to claims of abuse involving the home.

Plans for the inquiry, which will look into claims of child abuse over several decades on Jersey, have been put forward by the island's government and will now be put to the vote in its parliament.

Ian Gorst, the chief minister, said: "We believe the inquiry we are proposing will provide a trusted forum where witnesses can share their experiences, where a healing process can begin and through which we can develop a shared understanding of the lessons which need to be learned from our past."

It is the tenth investigation to be set up following revelations about Savile's alleged abuse at the BBC and at hospitals, and further claims about abuse at care homes in North Wales, said to involve a senior Tory.

Pressure

British Prime Minister David Cameron has come under pressure to launch an over-arching inquiry into all the claims but yesterday Andrew Lansley, Leader of the House of Commons, told the BBC's World at One that such an "all-embracing" probe might be too slow.

Meanwhile, a former social services director who led a 1990s inquiry into abuse at care homes in north Wales said that it was not told of allegations involving a senior Tory.

John Jillings said those named by victims had included staff members from the home but not well-known public figures or others who had taken them off to hotels, as has been suggested.

Mr Jillings (78) said he could not recall claims about a senior Tory. "I am sure that that would have lodged in my mind and we would have wanted to investigate it had we known about it," he said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News