'I will always hold Thomas Cook responsible' - Mother of two children who died of carbon monoxide poisoning on holiday
The mother of two children who died of carbon monoxide poisoning while on holiday in Corfu said today: "I will always hold Thomas Cook responsible for their deaths."
Sharon Wood spoke out after an inquest jury concluded that the tour operator "breached their duty of care" over the deaths of Bobby and Christi Shepherd, aged six and seven.
Speaking at the end of a two- week inquest hearing, the family's lawyer Leslie Thomas QC said Thomas Cook should "hang its head in shame".
Bobby and Christi died at the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel on the Greek holiday island when they were overcome by fumes from a faulty boiler.
The jurors at Wakefield Coroner's Court had already been told by West Yorkshire Coroner David Hinchliff that the only conclusion they could come to was unlawful killing.
Mr Hinchliff said he would be making a series a recommendations to the holiday industry following the inquest.
In an emotional statement outside the court, Mrs Wood paid tribute to her "beautiful angels".
She said: "For everyone whose lives Christi and Bobby touched, I am hugely relieved that our fight for justice is over. We asked for lessons to be learned from our children's deaths; it will now fall to the coroner's recommendations to force Thomas Cook to act more responsibly in future.
"Thomas Cook said they offered our family practical and financial support. This is simply not true. Whilst we appreciate there were criminal convictions in Corfu, it is clear that Thomas Cook could and should have identified that lethal boiler.
"Thomas Cook put Christi and Bobby in that bungalow and I will always hold Thomas Cook responsible for their deaths.
"I would also like to say that there can never be true justice for the deaths of my two innocent children, their whole lives ahead of them.
"But as a family we feel that our legal team, the coroner, the jury and our MP Mary Creagh have done Christi and Bobby proud, and brought the tragedy finally to a respectful conclusion. Rest in peace now, our beautiful angels."