Tuesday 27 September 2016

German women now fear their safety is being compromised for the sake of political correctness

Justin Hagler

Published 08/01/2016 | 02:30

Cologne Mayor Henriette Reker. Photo: Reuters
Cologne Mayor Henriette Reker. Photo: Reuters

For German women, 2016 has got off to a shocking start. Dozens of women trying to see in the new year in the centre of Cologne found themselves trapped in a crowd of some 1,000 men, who groped them, tore off their underwear, shouted lewd insults and threw fireworks at them.

  • Go To

To make matters worse, a series of sexual assaults that would normally make headline news went almost completely unreported for five days, and the scale of what happened that night in the western German city is only now emerging.

Women looking for reassurance from the authorities, therefore, were shocked when Henriette Reker (pictured inset), the mayor of Cologne and a survivor of a far-Right assassination attempt, said that German women should behave according to a certain 'code of conduct'.

"We will publish online guidelines that these young women can read through to prepare themselves."

She made a public announcement advising women to travel in groups and stay at "arm's length" from men they did not know to avoid such attacks happening to them.

'This means they should go out and have fun, but they need to be better prepared, especially with the Cologne carnival coming up.

'For this, we will publish online guidelines that these young women can read through to prepare themselves," she said.

Her comments have been condemned and met with accusations of victim blaming by women's rights campaigners.

To cap it all, a Cologne city councillor - far-Right activist Judith Wolter - has written an open letter declaring the city centre unsafe and a "no-go area" for women.

This is all highly unusual in a country where women are generally used to a high degree of personal safety.

In recent years, the number of rape cases and associated offences in Germany has fallen by around 8pc.

In Hamburg, where a series of attacks also took place on New Year's Eve, bouncers warned women not to leave nightclubs because of an increasingly hostile crowd on the streets.

But the warning was so unusual that several women ignored it and were sexually assaulted by those outside.

The reason so many women in Cologne were caught up in the violence was because they believed the area around the main station would be safe.

Police have now confirmed that sex attacks took place in three cities: Cologne, Hamburg and Stuttgart. So far around 120 women have come forward, claiming to be victims.

The first accounts are now trickling out of Germany. Witnesses have told newspapers that men were entering bars and clubs, grabbing women's backsides.

One woman, only identified at Katia L (28) told the Cologne tabloid 'Express' that she and three friends were stopped by a group of "foreign-looking men" outside the station.

Evelyn (24) and a student from Rheinland-Pfalz, was also at Cologne train station.

As reported in newspaper 'Bild', she said: "I had a knee-length skirt on, and suddenly I felt a hand on my backside under my dress. I turned round immediately and saw a grinning face."

She fled into the cathedral where she was surrounded again. "The only English they knew was 'Hey Baby'. I was grabbed and held by the arm and it was a nightmare. We were trapped in a mass of people."

Officers in Cologne were overwhelmed by crowds of men. Witnesses described them watching helplessly and one unnamed policeman said: "If you spoke to a suspect you were immediately surrounded by his friends. It was threatening."

What makes this highly unusual situation even more combustible are police reports that the crowd of attackers was made up of men "of North African or Arab appearance".

There have been allegations of a police cover-up for fear of setting off racial tensions.

The sexual assaults were barely reported by the German press until five days after they took place, and a former interior minister has accused the media of observing a "news blackout" and "code of silence" because of the ethnicity of those involved.

At the heart of this is the possibility that the perpetrators may be among the 1.1 million asylum-seekers who arrived in Germany last year under Angela Merkel's widely-criticised "open-door" refugee policy - something that's already threatened to rock her seemingly unshakeable Chancellorship.

The government has been quick to announce there is no evidence that refugees were involved. The far-Right say there's no evidence they weren't.

Many German women are now beginning to voice fears that their personal safety is being compromised in the name of political correctness.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News