Thursday 27 November 2014

Former X Factor judge Tulisa slams 'lying' reporter after drugs trial collapses

Published 21/07/2014 | 13:02

Former X Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos condemned undercover reporter Mazher Mahmood, known as the Fake Sheikh, for "openly lying" to the judge and jury, as her trial for allegedly brokering a drugs deal collapsed.

Standing on the steps of London's Southwark Crown Court, the singer read out a statement which said: "This whole case was a horrific and disgusting entrapment by Mazher Mahmood and the Sun on Sunday newspaper.

"This whole case was a horrific and disgusting entrapment by Mazher Mahmood and The Sun on Sunday newspaper.

"Mahmood has now been exposed by my lawyers openly lying to the judge and jury. These lies were told to stop crucial evidence going before the jury.

"This evidence showed that I told Mahmood's driver that I disapproved of drugs, which is the truth.

"It is clear that the driver was pressurised to change his statement to strengthen Mahmood's evidence and cause damage to mine. Thankfully the lies have been uncovered and justice has been done."

Former X Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos arrives at Southwark Crown Court in London, where she is accused of being concerned in brokering a drug deal. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Monday July 21, 2014. See PA story COURTS Tulisa. Photo credit should read: Justin Tallis/PA Wire
Former X Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos arrives at Southwark Crown Court in London
Former X Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos arrives at Southwark Crown Court in London
Former X Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos arrives at Southwark Crown Court in London

Here is the statement issued by Tulisa Contostavlos following the collapse of her drugs trial:

"Let me be perfectly clear. I have never dealt drugs and never been involved in taking or dealing cocaine.

"This whole case was a horrific and disgusting entrapment by Mazher Mahmood and the Sun on Sunday newspaper.

"Mahmood has now been exposed by my lawyers openly lying to the judge and jury. These lies were told to stop crucial evidence going before the jury. This evidence shows that I told Mahmood's long-standing driver that I disapproved of drugs, which is the truth.

Former N-Dubz singer Tulisa Contostavlos gives a statement outside Southwark Crown Court
Former N-Dubz singer Tulisa Contostavlos gives a statement outside Southwark Crown Court

"It is clear that the driver was pressured to change his statement to strengthen Mahmood's evidence and to damage mine.

"Thankfully the lies have been uncovered and justice has been done.

"This case only happened because Mahmood and his team tricked me into believing I was auditioning for a major movie role.

"They targeted me at a time when things were going badly for me and they had no mercy.

"Mahmood got me and my team completely intoxicated and persuaded me to act the part of a bad, rough, ghetto girl.

"They recorded this and produced this as evidence when I thought it was an audition. It was a terrible thing to do.

"As my lawyer said at the outset, we have now succeeded in exposing the real culprits and, most importantly, the real liar.

"As someone who has had my life ruined for the last year I strongly believe that this type of entrapment should not be allowed to happen to anyone.

"I urge both the police and News UK to investigate Mazher Mahmood and his team and to put an end to his deceit in pursuit of sensational stories for commercial gain.

"I have not been able to work for a year, and I am now looking forward to resuming my career.

"I will use these experiences to make me stronger. I would like to thank all the people who have supported me through this terrible ordeal, including my fans and, of course, my legal team."

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News