Wednesday 28 September 2016

Former BBC DJ Dave Lee Travis loses appeal over indecent assault conviction

Cathy Gordon

Published 08/12/2015 | 11:20

Former Radio 1 DJ Dave Lee Travis arrives at the Royal Courts of Justice in London to challenge his indecent assault conviction
Former Radio 1 DJ Dave Lee Travis arrives at the Royal Courts of Justice in London to challenge his indecent assault conviction

Former Radio 1 star Dave Lee Travis has lost a challenge against his conviction for indecent assault.

  • Go To

Three judges at the Court of Appeal in London heard an application by the disgraced DJ, who was found guilty of groping a young researcher behind the scenes at The Mrs Merton Show in 1995.

Former Radio 1 DJ Dave Lee Travis (left) arrives at the Royal Courts of Justice in London to challenge his indecent assault conviction
Former Radio 1 DJ Dave Lee Travis (left) arrives at the Royal Courts of Justice in London to challenge his indecent assault conviction

Following his conviction last year the former Top Of The Pops presenter, now aged 70, said he was "mortified'' and ''really disappointed''.

He was sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for two years, by a judge at Southwark Crown Court in London.

A jury heard he assaulted his victim - who is now a successful TV personality - in the corridor of a BBC television studio where she was smoking, and commented on her ''poor little lungs'' before squeezing her breasts for 10 to 15 seconds.

Travis, of Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, who became a household name in the 1970s, was first arrested in October 2012 under Operation Yewtree, Scotland Yard's investigation into historic sexual abuse in the wake of allegations against the late DJ Jimmy Savile.

He is present in court today for proceedings before Lady Justice Hallett, Mrs Justice McGowan and Mrs Justice May.

His QC Stephen Vullo told the judges that the events which followed the arrest of Mr Travis had "devastated his career, ruined his reputation, and damaged his finances beyond repair".

Two trials lasting "many weeks", with two separate juries, had "resulted in a single conviction".

He told the court: "We have evidence now that (the complainant) lied to the jury."

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News