Fitness blogger killed by exploding whipped cream dispenser
A French fitness and lifestyle blogger has been killed by an exploding whipped cream dispenser.
Rebecca Burger, (33), reportedly suffered a cardiac arrest after the gadget exploded and struck her chest, according to French media.
Her family have described the incident as a "domestic accident" on Facebook.
A warning against the faulty dispensers was posted to her Instagram account, saying it had "exploded and struck Rebecca's chest, causing her death".
Une belle journée s'achève ☀ • Beaucoup de voyages à venir et de nouveaux projets. • Il m'arrive de me poser en ce moment et de réfléchir à tout ce que j'ai déjà accompli et ce que je m'apprête à vivre ... Je me dis alors que la vie est belle? • Nous n'avons pas de crédit sur le temps donc profitons-en pleinement • Tenue: @womensbest.fr
Whipped cream dispensers operate by injecting gas into a metal canister to pressurise the contents, but one French consumer group warned against them for years.
Ms Burger was popular on social media, with a combined following of 200,000 fans through Instagram and Facebook, where she regularly posted photos of her fitness and travel diaries.
Women’s Best, a fitness store promoted by Burger, paid tribute to her in an Instagram post saying: "We are sorry to announce the sad news of losing this beautiful soul. Our French athlete Rebecca Burger passed away.
"Rebecca was not only a great fitness figure but a generous and kind person to work with. Please pray for her soul to rest in peace and for her family to stay strong.
Voici un exemple de siphon à chantilly qui a explosé et percuté le thorax de Rebecca, entraînant son décès. Précision : le siphon qui a engendré sa mort quant à lui été mis sous scellé. N'utilisez pas ce genre d'ustensile chez vous ! Plusieurs dizaines de milliers d'appareils défectueux sont encore en circulation.
"We will always be proud of you, Rebecca."
According to the BBC, one victim of an exploding cream dispenser told RTL radio in 2013: "I had six broken ribs, and my sternum was broken.
"At the hospital, I was told that if the shock and blast had been facing the heart, I would be dead now."
A photograph of a cream dispenser was posted to her Instagram account, alongside the message: "Here is an example of a siphon that exploded and crashed into Rebecca’s chest, causing her death.
"The siphon which caused her death was sealed. Don’t use this product in your homes! Tens of thousands of the faulty devices are already in circulation."