Saturday 3 December 2016

Ferdinand loses kiss 'n' tell court case

Dean Gray in London

Published 30/09/2011 | 05:00

Manchester United footballer Rio Ferdinand (pictured) has lost a High Court privacy action over a "kiss and tell" article.

  • Go To

Ferdinand (32), brought a case for misuse of private information against MGN Ltd over a 'Sunday Mirror' article in which interior designer Carly Storey gave her account of their 13-year relationship in return for £16,000 (€18,410).

Justice Nicol had been asked to award the England player £50,000 (€57,433) damages and a worldwide gagging injunction.

But he said: "Overall, in my judgment, the balancing exercise favours the defendant's right of freedom of expression over the claimant's right of privacy."

Ferdinand has branded the April 2010 piece, 'My affair with England captain Rio' a "gross invasion of my privacy", and insisted he had not seen Storey for six years by the time it appeared.

MGN said it was in the public interest to run the story about the centre-back, who was England captain for a period.

Ferdinand faces a legal bill estimated at £500,000 (€574,335).

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News