Monday 5 December 2016

Family gets €2,000 event bill after son's allergy death

Nick Squires in Rome

Published 19/08/2010 | 05:00

A RESTAURANT being investigated for the death of a boy at his birthday party by feeding him an ice cream he was severely allergic to has billed his family €2,000 for holding the event.

  • Go To

Davide Perta (16) went into anaphylactic shock when he ate a gelato sprinkled with nuts, grains and biscuit crumbs during a family banquet for 30 people in a village near Foggia, in Puglia.

The Italian teenager's family insist that they provided a list of exactly what the teenager -- who suffered from a rare genetic condition of extreme gluten intolerance -- could and could not eat to the restaurant that hosted the party, La Spiga (The Ear of Wheat).

They specified that he could safely eat a commercially made ice cream such as a Magnum, but not Italian gelato.

But he was served a type of speciality ice cream known as a "cinque cereali", or five cereals, which is covered in nuts and grains.

His body went into an immediate anaphylactic reaction and he died in front of horrified friends and family at the August 8 party. The restaurant's owners are now under investigation for manslaughter, with the local coroner awaiting a toxicology report.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News